Personal Licence Level 2


Personal Licence Level 2




Level 2 Personal Licence


£140 – discounts may apply


1x multiple-choice exam


8 GLH recommended




Self study


Level 2 Personal Licence


18 years +


For group bookings, contact

Course Description

This qualification is designed for those learners working in, or preparing to work in, any industry that involves the retail sale of alcohol. It is a prerequisite for anyone who wishes to hold a personal licence. Anyone wishing to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol by retail on licensed premises must hold a personal licence. The objective of the qualification is to allow an individual to meet a requirement set by law in order to undertake a specific role. Persons gaining this qualification will understand the main requirements of the Licensing Act 2003, the importance of promoting the licensing objectives and the legal responsibilities of a personal licence holder.

What are the benefits from taking this course?

At the end of the course, you will gain a recognised qualification to apply for your personal licence to legally sell or authorise the sale of alcohol by retail on licensed premises in accordance to the Licensing Act 2003.

What modules will I study?

  • The roles, responsibilities and functions of licensing authorities within the framework of the licensing objectives
  • Unauthorized and temporary license able activities
  • The application process for a personal license
  • Rights of entry to licensed premises
  • The role and legal responsibilities of the personal license holder, and the penalties relating to failure to comply with the law
  • Police powers with regard to suspension and closure of licensed premises
  • The premises license
  • The specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol
  • The content and purpose of operating schedules
  • The strengths of alcoholic drinks, and the effects of alcohol on the human body
  • the role and duties of the designated premises supervisor
  • The responsible retail sale of alcohol.

Who is the course for?

This course is for staff that work in the following sectors:

  • Off-license
  • Restaurants
  • Hotels
  • Stadiums
  • Theatres
  • Bars
  • Pubs
  • Clubs
  • Events Organizer
  • Anywhere where alcohol is sold

What will I learn?

Following completion of this course, you will be able to:

  • Understand the teaching role and responsibilities in education and training
  • Understand ways to maintain a safe and supportive learning environment
  • Understand the relationships between teachers and other professionals in education and training
  • Understand inclusive teaching and learning approaches in education and training
  • Understand ways to create an inclusive teaching and learning environment
  • Be able to plan inclusive teaching and learning
  • Be able to deliver inclusive teaching and learning
  • Be able to evaluate the delivery of inclusive teaching and learning
  • Understand the principles and requirements of assessment
  • Understand different types of assessment method
  • Understand how to plan assessment
  • Understand how to involve learners and others in assessment
  • Understand how to make assessment decisions
  • Understand quality assurance of the assessment process
  • Understand how to manage information relating to assessment
  • Understand the legal and good practice requirements in relation to assessment

How long does the course take?

The course takes approximately 6-8 hours to complete this qualification however learners go at their own pace. Learners can study this qualification as self-study, attend a virtual classroom session or a classroom environment.

How is the course assessed?

The qualification is assessed by 1x multiple-choice exam.

Those that complete the self-study option or virtual classroom will need a computer / laptop and stable internet connection to complete their exams online at a time to suit.

Are their any pre-requisites to join the course?

You must:

  • Be at least 18 years old

How can I study?

You can study this course via:

  • Classroom
  • Virtual classroom
  • Self-study

What do I get?

Regardless of the study method you choose, all learners will get the full training content online as part of our eLearning package and will receive free access to this course for one-year. This includes all PowerPoints, course notes and handouts.

Does the course fee include everything I need?

YES! We believe in being upfront – the fee you pay will include everything you need and there are no additional hidden costs such as assessment or certification fees.

Is this a regulated qualification?

We work closely with our awarding organisation to provide the best possible qualifications. Our course is accredited by Ofqual and is recognised everywhere. Visit

How do I access my course materials?

Our online course system is available 24/7 and you can log in from any device that has an internet connection. This includes desktop computers, laptops, tablet computers and even Smart phones via our app!

I changed my mind

We provide a 7-day no quibble money back guarantee should you change your mind.

How do I obtain my personal licence?

You can only obtain your personal license once you have attended and passed the APLH / Personal Licence Level 2 course. Following completion, you will apply to your local Council for your Personal Licence.

How much does a Personal Licence cost?

The application for a Personal Licence costs £37, this is non-refundable once paid. This is paid directly to your local council. You may also need to pay £25 for a DBS Check if your haven’t already got one that is recent.

How long does the Personal Licence last for?

Your PLH Licence has no expiry date and is valid indefinitely. This is as long as it is not forfeited or revoked.

Am I eligible for a Personal Licence?

To be eligible for a personal licence you will need to pass an APLH course, be at least 18 years old and have the right to live and work in the UK. You will also need to have not forfeited a personal licence in the previous 5 years.

What is a Designated Premises Supervisor?

A designated premises supervisor has the day-to-day responsibility for the running of a business and is responsible for the authorisation of all alcohol sales. It is a legal requirement that licensed premises have a Designated Premises Supervisor.

Can I work in a pub without a perosnal licence?

Yes, you can. A premises only needs one personal licence holder to authorise the sale of alcohol. Just working behind a bar doesn’t need a personal licence.

I have a criminal record, can I apply for a Licence?

Having a criminal record does not rule you out from applying for an Personal Licence. The licensing authority will make a decision on whether your conviction is relevant to your licence application.

What identity checks do I need for my licence application?

Most identity checks can be completed online. You will also need to have your supplied passport photos signed by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

Additional information

Study Mode

Virtual Classroom, Self-study


There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.